+ Guest recitalists
- Jacob Ertl, piano, performing Stravinsky's Firebird, Rzewski's Fourth piece, and music by Pittsburgh composers. November 9 (Sunday), 4:30pm. Kip & Desiree Soteres's home in Shadyside.
- Gleb Kanasevich, clarinet, featuring Boulez's epoch-making Dialogue de l'ombre double for clarinet and electronics. February 7 (Saturday), 7:30pm, Frick Fine Arts Auditorium (University of Pittsburgh).
- Luisa Sello, flute. The Pittsburgh leg of Ms. Sello's US tour. April 18 (Saturday), 7pm. Bricolage Theater in Downtown.
+ Touring ensembles
- Yarn/Wire. New York's esteemed piano+percussion quartet at the James Laughlin Music Hall, Chatham University. March 14 (Saturday), 7:00pm.
- Patchwork Duo. The eclectic, Cleveland-based saxophone+drums duo, performing on First Friday on Penn Ave.
+ Alia Musica in performance
- Nach-Ruf... ent-gleitend, by Georg Friedrich Haas, performed by Alia Musica at the Warhol Museum, as part of Music on the Edge's Beyond Microtonal Music, the 3-day festival (February 27-March 1).
- Spring 2015 Concert. Music for mid- and full-size chamber ensembles by Pittsburgh composers, conducted by Federico Garcia-De Castro. Heymann Theater (Stephen Foster Memorial building). May 2 (Saturday), 7:00pm.
- Eve Apart, the new opera by Chattanooga composer Tim Hinck on librettos by Pittsburgh's Kip Soteres. Performed in collaboration with New Dischord, at the Hill House in Uptown. May 22, 23, 24.
- MusicArte Festival in Panama City. Alia Musica joins ensemble Dal Niente and the Soundscape Trio in Panama's premier new music festival, featuring guest composer Carlos Sanchez-Gutierrez. June 14-21 (Panama City)
Season e-tickets: $50 (for all events Mar. through Aug.)
Calendar of Events
11/9/14 (Sun), 4:30p: Jacob Ertl
Eastman graduate and new music specialist Jacob Ertl (piano), performing Stravinsky's Firebird (in Agosti's transcription), the fourth of Rzewski's Four Pieces (1976), Federico Garcia-De Castro's new Rendering, and music by Alia Musica composers John Arrigo-Nelson and Matthew Heap. Hosted by Desiree and Kip Soteres at their home in Shadyside.
2/7/5 (Sat), 7:30p: Gleb Kanasevich
Baltimore-based clarinetist Gleb Kanasevich brings his performance of Boulez's marvelous Dialogue de l'ombre double, the seminal piece for clarinet and electronics by the master of 20th century avant-garde. Plus other repertory including music by Pittsburgh composers. Click for details.
3/1/15 (Sun), 8p: Alia Musica at the Warhol
Alia Musica performs for Music on the Edge's Beyond Microtonal Music festival: Georg Friedrich Haas's Nach-Ruf... ent-gleitend for sextet, conducted by Federico Garcia-De Castro.Click for details.
3/14/15 (Sat), 8pm: Yarn/Wire
New York's rising piano+percussion quartet Yarn/Wire, as part of their Spring 2015 tour. Repertory includes music by Alia Musica's John Arrigo-Nelson. Click for details.
4/3/15 (Fri), 9p: Patchwork Duo
The eclectic music of the Patchwork Duo (saxophone and drums), performing as part of First Friday on Penn Avenue.
4/18/15 (Sat), 7:30p: Luisa Sello
Italian flutist Luisa Sello, in the US for a performance at Carnegie Hall and a masterclass at the Julliard School in New York, visits Pittsburgh with her innovative solo flute repertory.
5/2/15 (Sat), 7:30p: Spring Concert
Alia Musica's traditional Spring Concert, with music for chamber ensembles (7-15) players by Pittsburgh composers.
May 22, 23, 24 (Fri-Sun): Eve Apart
Alia Musica joins Chattanooga's New Dischord ensemble, for the Pittsburgh premiere of Tim Hinck's opera Eve Apart (on a libretto by Pittsburgh's Kip Soteres).
Jun 14-21: Alia Musica at MusicArte Panama
Alia Musica is featured ensemble at Panama's premmier new music festival, alongside ensemble Dal Niente and the Soundscape Trio. We will present the new composition that Carlos Sanchez-Guierrez (featured composer at the 2015 festival) is writing for the ensemble.